Hennepin County Sheriff's Department SPECIAL OPERATIONS units have been deployed to Standing Rock to join in the violent repression of peaceful demonstrations to protect the water. If you are a resident of Hennepin County, MN, please take action today!
1. Call Sheriff Richard Stanek (or pay him a visit) and demand that he withdraw the forces from North Dakota. (612) 348-3744. The Sheriff's office is 350 South 5th Street, Room 6, Minneapolis, MN 55415. You can use the petition below for sample language, then adapt and make it your own.
2. Contact your County Commissioner today and tell them to demand that Sheriff Stanek withdraw the troops. There are 7 commissioners total and you can look up yours on a map here.
- District 1 - Mike Opat, 612-348-7881
- District 2 - Linda Higgins, 612-348-7882
- District 3 - Marion Greene, 612-348-7883
- District 4 - Peter McLaughlin, 612-348-7884
- District 5 - Randy Johnson, 612-348-7885
- District 6 - Jan Callison, 612-348-7886
- District 7 - Jeff Johnson, 612-348-7887
3. Sign the petition below, then share this webpage with your networks
4. Come to a rally put on by our allies outside the Sheriff's Office (Hennepin County Government Center) on Tuesday, October 25 at 12pm Noon- see Facebook event page for details.
"We are residents of Hennepin County, MN and we are alarmed at the deployment of Hennepin County Sherrif’s Department forces to North Dakota to take part in the hyper-militarized and violent repression of peaceful demonstrations in opposition to the Dakota Access pipeline. In our judgment, the demonstrations by water protectors on and near the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation have been overwhelmingly peaceful, prayerful, dignified, and reverent. They have been exercises of the inherent human rights and constitutionally protected rights to freedom of speech and assembly. Morton County law enforcement has responded with riot police, armored vehicles, pepper spray, lethal weapons, illegal surveillance, illegal strip searches, trumped-up charges, racial profiling, and many other forms of physical violence and abuse designed to repress and intimidate. Hennepin County has absolutely no place and no right to support such activity with our tax dollars. We hereby call on all Hennepin County Commissioners and Sheriff Richard Stanek to immediately withdraw all Hennepin County forces from North Dakota."
Photo taken by Donna Brown on October 23, 2016, on sovereign, unceded Lakota Territory near the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation in so-called North Dakota.